Remote learning 2020.21
It is vital that we all prepare for the eventuality of a future local or national lockdown and make clear our home learning approach. We are also likely to have an increasing number of families who are self-isolating and we want to ensure that our pupils will have good quality access to learning during this time.
We have listened to your previous feedback and looked to enhance our provision in preparation for this. We understand that the website was difficult to manage due to the nature of the zipped files so we intend to use Google Classroom. This also allows teaching staff to monitor and feedback to children. Initial trials for both homework and in school learning have proved to be successful so we hope that this solution will improve your experience.
The textbooks sent home during lockdown received positive feedback therefore each child will receive a new set for this academic year from the week commencing Monday 5th October. These can be used if a family is isolating along with the online resources previously accessed.
Attached is the school Homelearning Policy and a one page, easy to follow guide. We appreciate that there has been a great deal of communication sent home recently so below is a summary of the full policy:
• Full curriculum for the year is available on the school website: https://www.oakdale.peterborough.sch.uk/page/?title=Curriculum&pid=122
• Specific year group topic overviews and core learning support materials were sent out to parents last week
• Daily Google Classroom lessons for Y1-6 consisting of:
-Reading task (at least one comprehension test a week)
-Maths task (arithmetic test and challenge task at least weekly)
This will be year group specific and progressive. POP tasks will be sent out at the end of each half term to assess topic understanding (if relevant)
• Tapestry will be used for Reception and will cover all of the EYFS curriculum over the course of the week. Daily phonics and maths will be planned for.
• Children and parents can submit work for feedback. Teaching staff will respond to this until 4pm each day. After this point it will be responded to the following day.
• Textbooks for all children will be made available for collection for every child to cover reading, writing and maths (extra units can be made available upon request for pupils unable to access Google Classroom).
• Weekly Zoom class sessions to celebrate home learning and an initial Zoom meeting on the first day of the instigation of the Remote Learning Policy to support access to remote learning and set expectations.
• Pupils/parents who do not engage with home learning will receive a follow up telephone call.